Wednesday, October 29, 2014

DIY: Ruby Red Slippers

For Halloween this year I'm dressing up as Dorothy. Dorothy signature item would have to be her ruby red slippers. Who wants to pay $20-$30 for a pair of shoes, that you probably wont wear but once, when you can make your own for about 10 bucks or so.

All you need is:

                                                       1. Pair of shoes
                                                                   -I grabbed a pair from the Goodwill

                                                       2. Red glitter

                                                       3.  Glue (whatever kind you feel would work best)
                                                                    -I used tacky glue

                                                       4. Paintbrush

                                                       5. Big bowl

                                                       6. Newspaper
                                          
                                                       7. Sealant spray



Ok so the first thing I did was layout some newspaper because this can be messy. Then I proceeded by squeezing some glue on the shoe then spreading it out with the brush. I put the shoe over the bowl and sprinkled some glitter on it. Don't be afraid to be generous with the glitter because you can reuse whatever is left in the bowl.



I did mine in small sections and I ended up putting globs of glue on it. Don't do that! If the layer is of glue is thick it gradually droops down and it clumps up. Which means you have to scrape and redo. What were you thinking Hannah?













 After you finish covering the whole shoe let it dry. It's going to be a little patchy because some of the glitter shook off. So once it dries a little you can put a little thin layer over the patches and sprinkle some more glitter. 

I didn't have a sealant spray so I didn't get to spray mine. I highly recommend getting some so it will set the glitter in place. I plan on grabbing some Friday morning so make sure you grab some.

Now your ruby red slippers are completed and are ready for your costume and it cost half of what you would've paid for a pair at a costume store.

 *The glue has dripped down a little on this one as you can see on the heel.

 *Why you need newspaper. Too much glitter!!!





Enjoy!

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time and leaving me a comment! I can't wait to read them! Remember to leave a link to your blog! Love finding new blogs to read! Have a lovely day :)
-H